Chicago Marathon - recap

Every runner has a bad race, unfortunately mine was today. Everything was lined up so well - high altitude training, 3 week taper, good nutrition, good sleep, and lots of support from family, friends, and school. Then, this past week I've been dealing with pain in my right leg. I was determined to line up at the start and just stay positive and hopeful. When I warmed up before the race, my right hamstring and hip flexors felt strained. When the gun went off, I forced my body to go at a fast pace and it was painful. As the race went on, the muscle strain became worse and the smart thing to do was slow down to prevent muscle tear. Even running slower was painful, so I had to make a decision that a runner hopes she never has to make - whether to go to the medical tent and drop out of the race or continue and risk more serious injury. I feel horrible about dropping out, but I believe going to the medical tent was the right choice. I've heard of runners who have pushed through injuries, which only made things worse and resulted in months of recovering when it could have just been days or weeks. Thank you to everyone who wished me good luck and encouragement, especially my dad, uncle and auntie who watched me run and held up signs and wore shirts that said "Go Joanna." There is time, I have until 2019 to run another marathon to qualify for the Trials. The important thing now is to stay positive and have a smooth recovery.




Comments

Lynda Randolph said…
You were wise to make the decision you made yesterday. As older folks, we've had our share of disappointments in life. But, invariably, on looking back later on, we realize that things turned out for the best in the long run, even tho we were disappointed at the time. You do have plenty of time to do another qualifying race. And, you will be stronger & wiser for the experience. So, don't be discouraged! If we never faced problems & difficulties along the way, reaching the ultimate goal would not be so sweet! Love & hugs to you as you continue your journey!!

Lynda & Barry Randolph
Anonymous said…
You are amazing! Your spirit is exceptional. Thank you for sharing your journey with others. I'm sorry this race didn't turn out as planned, but I think you were so smart and brave to do what you did. I'm sure so many folks that have meet you are cheering for you, just like me, and we will keep cheering! Best, best wishes with your recovery and may you have some happy run days soon :)

Cheers,
Buffy (met you at the Ezakimak race and cheered for you since!)
Mister Collins said…
Sorry to see you had to drop out Joanna. Coach Tippets let us know here at Piedmont Hills of your efforts to qualify for the trials. Although I never had you as a student, I took an interest since I wanted to qualify for the trials as well back in the day. I think the qualifying time in my day was 2:18 for men, but I never had a chance to take a shot. I started dating a flight attendant, and she demanded I choose running or her. Foolishly, I chose the later. Once at the gym, I was on pace to run a 2:24 marathon on a treadmill, but I had to drop out after the 18th mile because the machine began to smoke! Of course, running on a treadmill is easier than on the street; nonetheless, I thought with another year's training maybe I'd make it. Don't let anybody and anything get in the way! As young as you are, you have plenty of time; however, I think you should start practicing your Japanese!

Popular Posts