Ezakimak 5K Race

Workout: 5 M in the morning, 3.2 M Ezakimak 5K race in the evening

The day began with an easy 5 M run to loosen up my legs for the race. I spent the day carb loading, relaxing my muscles in the bathtub while watching an inspiring movie about an ultramarathon runner called "Finding Traction," blogging, and trying to rest in bed since I only got 3 hrs of sleep but I was just too nervous about the race. Last night I analyzed the results and saw that Deena Kastor had placed 1st female in 37:16 two years ago but she didn't run the race this year because she is hosting an adult camp this weekend.




The race was a 5K run and bike race up Mammoth Mountain and started at 7 pm. It began at 9,000' elevation and ended at 11,000', with a sunset view at the top. It was a dirt trail that bikers often ride down in the summer when the snow has melted. As I stood at the start line and tilted my head back to see the summit, the cold strong wind caused me to shiver and my teeth to chatter. I stood behind a woman who stretched as if she was ready to win the race. My quads felt too weak to pick up my legs high enough for the steep inclines, even though my breathing was even and my heart rate was in the 120s. I have never been a strong uphill runner because of my long lean legs. Shorter stronger legs are more efficient for running uphill because it is better for the body to exert a smaller force more often (shorter stride) than a larger force less frequently (longer stride). I finished as 3rd Place Female in 39:28, two minutes behind the 1st place female, Brittni Hutton, who had a short frame and strong legs and is a professional 5K and 10K runner. She told me after the race that she might run the LA Marathon next year and I might also.




After the race, Deena Kastor's 6 yr old daughter looked up at me with a deeply concerned look because my lip was bleeding and she offered me her half-full cup of hot chocolate, it was too adorable! A couple and their daughter who looked around 10 years old came up to me, and the father said "Congratulations, what you did was very inspiring. My daughter just started running and she likes it." Later, when I was eating yogurt and watermelon (that the cashier gave to me for a discount because I placed 3rd), a family with two young boys joined me and congratulated me. They asked me lots of questions like "Do you run everyday?" and "How long have you been running?" And after my responses, they paused and had astonished looks on their faces, then were even more eager to ask questions about my running. On the gondola ride down the mountain, I sat with a group of women who saw my 3rd place medal and asked me similar questions on the way down the mountain. It really makes me feel great joy to share my passion, goals, and experience with others who look up to me. I believe that one person's story can be like a ripple effect and positively influence many people, some of which I may not have even met; this is ultimately the purpose I believe God has given me.

Comments

Popular Posts