Injured Ankle

Workout: 11 M at the Town Loop Trail

When I woke up, it hurt to just stand up. I observed my ankle for any signs of it being broken: no redness, swolleness, or warmth. It was just very sore. "Good, I can run," I thought as I tried doing a few heel lifts while holding my breath and squeezing my eyes closed in pain. The big scab on my knee made it painful to bend my leg. I had to do everything slowly and carefully. I started my run with what seemed like a slow 9 min pace limp and felt like I had a mechanical right leg that couldn't bend and a left foot that makes contact with the ground by only the lateral side. Luckily, I ran with Rusty Tomato, who talked with me, made me laugh, and showed understanding by running a bit slower. I felt a sudden shooting pain halfway through the run, and by the last couple miles my ankle felt a bit less sore. Being injured scares me because it could mean I would need to take days off and be behind in training. I need to take it easy, good thing this is my lower mileage week. I wrapped up my ankle in a compression band and did heel lifts. Sometimes you have to experience enough injuries to be able to judge for yourself whether it is safe to run. The best thing to do is see a sports medicine doctor or physical therapist if you become injured and want to know if it is serious and how to treat it. I have also learned that keeping a positive vibe, quality rest, and eating well in addition to therapy helps you recover faster.

Breakfast after my run: Smoothie (kale, banana, plain nonfat Greek yogurt), Toast (sprouted Ezekiel bread, PB, avocado, salsa) 

Comments

Popular Posts