My Journey and Purpose in Life

Workout: 8 M on the trails

An easy run this morning was essential for loosening up the legs from my hard long run yesterday. I haven't been getting quality sleep the past 5 days or so because at night I have been waking up to the scratching and pitter patter of a mouse scurrying in my dresser, along the floor, and making a ruckus with anything that makes noise. I think it is time to get some traps because quality sleep is extremely important for recovery and feeling good to run the next morning.

Later, I watched "Moana," who was chosen by the ocean to embark on a journey to restore the heart of the sea. Like her, each of us are chosen and given a purpose in life. Mine was made clear years ago when I spent lots of time in prayer asking God to show me direction and open up opportunities for the plan He has for my life. He has definitely guided me. When I fractured my ankle in 2011, I studied for 2 and half months on my own to become a licensed pharmacy tech because I wanted to do something useful with my time besides attending college full-time. Then, I volunteered at the inpatient pharmacy at Santa Clara Valley Medical Center, gained an interest in pharmacy, got accepted to Loma Linda University School of Pharmacy, met a runner named Michael from the Riverside Road Runners club who encouraged me to keep pursuing marathon running and he put together a training plan for the SF Marathon, one year later he spoke with contacts to set up 4 weeks for me to train and lodge in Mammoth, and an administrator from my university was able to set up 3 more weeks of lodging in Mammoth. I look back at how all of this has so perfectly aligned to bring me to where I am today and only God could have orchestrated such a plan. If a single event didn't happen, like if I had never tripped on a rock and broken my ankle, I would not be here today training in Mammoth. Like Moana, I was chosen to embark on a journey to become a pharmacist and marathon runner. Who knows, maybe the purpose for me to attend LLU was not to foremost become a pharmacist but to meet people in So Cal who would set up this training and lodging in Mammoth to improve my athletic performance at high altitude and qualify for the Trials. Thousands of students graduate each year from pharmacy schools in the US, but only around 150 women run the US Olympic Marathon Trials (which is only once every 4 years). I am still pursuing pharmacy school just as I am marathon running. I am thankful for God's answer to my prayers and continued guidance along this amazing journey.

Comments

Joanna. I have and always will believe in you, and pray for you without ceasing that you continue to "Inspire the world, give God the glory, and have fun doing it!" :)

PS: The mouse story is just too funny...such a first world problem! Haha.

-Michael John Stanley

Popular Posts