Post-race Reflection & June Lake

Workout: 15 M in the morning, 5 M in the afternoon

Last night I only slept for 2 hrs because I kept thinking about how I wish I could have done better in the race. There were people here that were rooting for me to win and I feel that I let them and myself down. I really prefer not to hear the words "Go out and win it" because it puts a lot of pressure on me, especially when it doesn't happen and I just wanted to run this race for the fun of running up a mountain. But after some thinking, I realized that the race was the opposite of what I am - a marathon runner. The race was short, uphill, at high altitude, and on trail, compared to a marathon that is about 9 times longer, fairly flat, at sea level, and on road. The best thing to do is accept my performance for what it was, use that drive to train harder and keep moving forward, and remembering that my main race is the Chicago Marathon, any other race before that should not define what I am capable of.

I planned on running 10 M this morning but my legs felt great and my lungs felt like they could hold an extra ounce of oxygen... it must have been from that insane high altitude race yesterday. Running on the trails at Shady Rest Park are so fun that I can get lost there and the miles will just fly by.

Jenny invited me and Mo to June Lake where she was going to swim. I decided to run near the very beautiful, crystal clear lake to complete a solid 90 M week. I came within 15 feet of 6 deer on the trail that looked shocked because I was headed straight towards them. At the parking lot, a man said "Didn't you finish 3rd in the race yesterday? Congrats." And another man said "I recognize you from the race yesterday." When people recognize me as a runner, it lifts up my spirit and I always try to come up with something to say that reveals this brilliant light inside me. I find joy in sharing my passion for running and showing that with hard work and persistence, you are capable of so much more than you ever thought possible!


Comments

Popular Posts