Rainbow Falls & Ordering at Restaurants

Workout: 12 M at Mammoth Rock Trail

A friend, who I run with at the track, took me on a nice scenic trail run along the mountain (everywhere you go here is scenic, haha). My legs felt so heavy and it was tough to pick up my cadence, which is due to running my first double day yesterday, increasing my weekly mileage by 15 M, and maybe also not resting after the race. If my legs feel more tired tomorrow during my warm up at the track, then I should probably shorten my workout or run at an easier pace. Doing so will allow my body to recover a bit so that I can train harder the next time. This is what I like about coaching myself - being able to adjust my training according to how my body feels.

Video I recorded of Rainbow Falls! (my phone can only send short 3 sec videos)


I hiked about 4 miles to Devil's Postpile and Rainbow Falls with the Director of Communications of Mammoth Lakes and the editor in chief of Women's Running magazine. The Devil's Postpile is one of the world's finest examples of columnar basalt stacked in unusual symmetry 60 ft high. Studies suggest that it was formed less than 100,000 years ago when a cooling lava flow cracked into multi-sided columns. When the sun hits Rainbow Falls at just the right angle at a certain time of day, you will see one or two beautiful rainbows! The trail wrapped along the San Joaquin River with beautiful views of the meadows filled with wildflowers, horses passing along the trail, and tens of thousands of pine trees that had been destroyed from a 100 mph windstorm in 2011 known as "The Devil's Windstorm."

Devil's Postpile
San Joaquin River
Afterwards, we went out to lunch at 53 Restaurant. Later, we went out for dinner at Morrison's Restaurant. I ordered pesto pizza with no cheese and I waited half an hour because they made it with cheese the first time. But, the waitress was nice and didn't charge me for the pizza. I always study the menu carefully before ordering and ask to exclude things like mayo, bacon, butter, ketchup, croutons, dressing, sour cream, most sauces, and cheese (unless it is a gourmet type of cheese like blue cheese or feta). I always choose a side salad over fries and water over any other drink on the menu. I don't order dessert at restaurants. Eating unhealthy foods might cause stomach problems before and during a run, which definitely isn't worth it! Making smart choices about the foods you eat will allow you to stay healthy and, as a runner feel more energized and ready for your next run!




Comments

Popular Posts