The Honest, Worthy Athlete

Workout: 11 M at the Meadows

I ran a loop that measured exactly 11 miles, despite taking the wrong turn and having to cut through someone's yard to get back to the street. I was actually supposed to run with the team today, but no one showed up at the park. I enjoyed my run anyways, especially running by Hidden Lake and through the Enchanted Forrest. I ran on technical terrain to try to strengthen my ankle with all the twists and turns, ups and downs, rocks and roots. As I was running by an open house, a woman waved and called "Joanna!" It was Deena Kastor! I was running too fast to even think about stopping to say hello that I just waved and thought about making sure my running form was good because Deena was watching. My ankle felt less sore than yesterday, and again seemed to feel better during the last few miles. This is very good news! Also good news is that the mouse was let out of the house by my roommate, so now I can get good restful sleep!



1 Corinthians 9:25-27
The movie that I have been watching this week on Netflix while I bathe is about Lance Armstrong and his doping scandal. My hope is that banned substances will one day no longer interfere with sports. It is sad when the winner of a race is declared disqualified because of drug abuse. I can relate to this personally. I competed in the Riverside Hometown Heroes Run 10 K two years ago and finished as 3rd overall female, but a couple weeks later was moved up to 2nd place because the 2nd place finisher was disqualified for taking a banned substance. Athletes should be more aware of the dangers of drug abuse and should realize that it places their reputation on the line and they risk losing not only sponsors but friends who believed in them. It is through strict training that makes an athlete worthy of placing on the podium and earning the congratulations from young runners who aspire to be like them.



Comments

Popular Posts