Talk with Elite Athletes to High School Runners

Workout: 14 M in the morning, 4 M in the afternoon

Cool little den on the side of the trail
I ran up 1,248' along the Lakes Basin bike path that runs alongside the edge of the mountains and passes a waterfall and river. I love running along that path because it takes me to another beautiful waterfall and Twin Lakes. In the morning, there is a gorgeous reflection of the mountains in the lakes. My legs felt good and I ran faster on this path than the previous three times. Maybe it was because of the delicious healthy dinner I ate yesterday and the exciting evening I had with Olympians.

(Left to Right) Alexi Pappas, Sarah Attar, Deena's daughter Piper, Deena, Mo, Coach Andrew

In the afternoon, I ran 4 M at Shady Rest Park. Coach Andrew hosted a talk at the park with Deena, Alexi, Sarah, and Mo to about 50 high school runners. He regularly hosts talks with elite runners of the Mammoth Track Club at the park during the summer. The runners spoke about nutrition (eating enough protein and iron), resting for your body to recover after a hard workout, and how they fell in love with running. I should probably learn how to cook steak since I have a low iron level and iron is important for carrying oxygen, and at high altitude the need for iron is greater. Coach asked the high school runners questions like "What is the men's qualifying time for the Olympic marathon trials?" and gave away Mammoth Track Club shirts for correct answers. It is really great to see that Coach gives back to the community in so many ways through sport and I look up to him as a role model because as I continue along my running journey, I hope to also give back to the community and be a part of enriching the lives of those who aspire to pursue running or reaching other goals in life.

Comments

Popular Posts