At The Track

Workout: 16 M at the track

I arrived to the track early and ran a 2 mile warm up then 7 x 1000 m at the track with 200 m jog in between at a pace that was moderately hard because I wanted to have enough energy to run the workout with the team. The team and I ran a 2 mile warm up then 8 x 800 m, then I ran a 2.5 mile cool down barefoot on the turf. My legs felt loose by the time I was doing the 800 m workout, which I ran at a hard effort right behind one of the guys. Sometimes all it takes is running at a fast pace in order to wake up your muscles and perform well. I focused on staying only a stride behind him and when I picked up the pace on the last two intervals, I passed him. While you run, it's good to tune into your body and when you feel you can push a little harder at the end of a workout, don't hold back or you might regret it. We do drills after our warm up, which is something that I just think expends energy and isn't useful. Although, drills can be helpful if you are beginning a training program or prone to injury and need to work on your mechanics for having a good running form.

I finally finished watching the movie "100 Meters" on Netflix (I watched it a little at a time as I took a hot bath) which is a really great movie for anyone to watch and be inspired by. I learned from the movie that the mental aspect involved in training is huge and that anyone can train for and complete an ironman. The man in the movie, which is based on a true story, has multiple sclerosis and it is just incredible to see the things he goes through and how he has the strength to overcome it on a daily basis - he has to focus extremely hard to even pick up his mug from the table. Being mentally strong is what all athletes must become to be good at their sport.  

Here is a trailer of the movie:
https://youtu.be/dqbYqDi-MXs


Comments

Popular Posts