Farewell Mammoth Lakes! Drive to Loma Linda University

Workout: 8 M to Mammoth Creek Park

During the run, it was very cold at 33 degrees but I was prepared with pants, long sleeve top, jacket, gloves, and head warmer; only my hands were cold. My shoes slipped across the icy bridge but I didn't fall. I'm glad I did my long run yesterday, I don't think I would survive running long in this cold weather. I took in the sunrise and beautiful scenery and enjoyed my last run in Mammoth. I am just so thankful for this wonderful almost surreal opportunity to train in Mammoth this summer and to Mr & Mrs R for letting me and my parents stay at their lovely home! I said goodbye to my dad who drove back alone to San Jose today. My mom helped me clean up the house and then I drove us to Loma Linda.




On the way, we stopped in Bishop at Schat's Bakery, home of the Original Sheepherder Bread, where many people in Mammoth told me visit because it is the first Schat's Bakery that was established in 1903. The place was filled with the comforting smell of fresh baked bread and old black and white photos of the bakery and owners displayed all around. It was like a bread factory - there were aisles of all types of bread loaves: raisin walnut, cheese jalapeno, chocolate chip, sour dough, and nut apricot date. There was also a deli serving sandwiches and soup, and a adjoining room with lots of pastries, breakfast sandwiches, chocolates, cookies, gelato, coffee, and tea. We tried a sample of hearty wheat bread with raisins and nuts and liked it so much that we bought it and watched the bakers as they quickly sliced the bread loaf in a machine. We enjoyed the bread outside with some grapes as we chatted with a man named Barry that sat next to us, who was so thrilled to meet an elite marathon runner that he even introduced me to a random man walking by as a "future Olympic runner." That man walking by was just as thrilled that he shook my hand, asked for my name, and said he will keep a lookout for me at the next Olympics. Barry asked me "What are your odds of making it to the Olympics?" and after my response he said "You shouldn't have any doubts, be confident," then he wished me luck at the Chicago Marathon. It feels great meeting people and sharing my journey and goals with them because I believe it inspires them also.

It was a long, hot drive in the 90s through the desert terrain to Loma Linda but I sort of enjoyed it since my mom was there to talk with. I didn't turn on the AC or radio because I always challenge myself to survive through tough conditions, it's just who I am. We ate dinner at the well-known Mission Inn in Riverside, where the waiter made fresh guacamole at our table. We heard water dripping down from a fountain next to us, watched as a little boy that kept sliding out of his seat to touch the water, and watched as the hotel doorman wearing a suit held the door for women wearing fancy dresses and men wearing suits. There were also two parrots near the door that greeted people and even laughed like a real person.

We checked into my room at the dorms and unpacked a few things. I am excited to finally have my own single room where I can go to sleep and wake up anytime and won't be woken up by a roommate. This is my last year of classes at Loma Linda University and next school year I will be doing rotations at six different pharmacies practically anywhere I choose in the U.S. I hope to do some of my rotations in San Jose so that I can live at home. I graduate in May 2019, it seems so close! After I graduate, I want to continue training and work in a pharmacy. I will likely be posting on my blog once a week during the school year.

Comments

Popular Posts