Mammoth Rock 10 K Fun Run

Workout: 8 M at Mammoth Rock Trail

Mammoth Rock
I met up at Mammoth Creek Park with other runners for the annual Mammoth Rock Trail 10 K fun run on Labor Day weekend, coordinated by Deena Kastor. It was a challenging trail, which had areas of dirt that my feet sank into, along with the elevation increase by over 1,000 ft. There was a high school guy who kept up with me until the long downhill of a mile and a half, which was where my legs picked up cadence with little effort on breathing or muscle effort. I treated this run almost as a race by pushing on the uphill, maintaining a hard effort throughout and sprinting at the end. It was good practice to get into racing mode and was lots of fun. Later, I went to the Festival of Arts that had many wonderful paintings; photos of the sunset over the lake and mountaintops; homemade wooden tables; live music; and many other things that made me wonder how creative people are. I also saw Sarah Attar and Alexi Pappas there, along with a couple who said they saw me the past couple days at the music festival, which made me realize that the town is actually very small.  I went to listen to music again at the music festival and enjoyed some steak tacos since I haven't eaten red meat in awhile and I was feeling symptoms of low iron even though I take iron supplements; it is still important to consume iron from foods especially when training at high altitude.

Comments

Popular Posts