Marathon Tapering & Waterfalls

Workout: 7 M on Sherwin Rd

Twin Lakes Falls Lookout
I had a nice, cool run this morning with Rusty Tomato and his friend Tim Tollefson. I will speak about Tim in tomorrow's post. I took the trolley to Lake Mary and walked around the lake. The weather is a little cooler here because the lake is at 9,000 ft of elevation. The water was a beautiful crystal clear blue color and I watched people on paddle boards and kayaking with their dogs looking nervously into the water below. I also walked to see the top of Twin Lakes Fall, one of the most amazing views here in Mammoth!




Walking through a forest!
Then, I saw a family hiking down a steep rock trail to Twin Lakes and I decided to do the same. It was quite an adventure crossing over fallen trees, ducking under branches, sliding with my feet down the slope, climbing down rocks, crossing a waterfall, and to a house with a little barking dog that stopped at my feet and I got to pet. Then, I walked on a trail along the beautiful Twin Lakes. It has been a peaceful afternoon enjoying the scenery here before I leave. Glad I only ran 7 miles this morning because I walked at least 6 miles today. I saw 2 deer crossing the street and prayed that God will protect them!

Lake Mary


Twin Lakes Falls

Yesterday and today it has begun to get chilly in the low 40s in the morning. Legs felt a little heavy and tired from the long run yesterday but that is to be expected, especially after a 90 mile week. Now, it is exactly 4 weeks until the marathon. Typically, people training for a marathon run around 80 miles per week for a marathon and then taper for 3 weeks. Since I have hit 100 mile weeks five times this summer (previously, I only did one 100 mile week ever last December) and I want to allow my body enough time to recover, I decided to start tapering early from 100, 90, 80, 60, 48, 45. Running 80-90 miles is still considered high mileage. Once I lower to 50 miles, I will have one rest day which I am not looking forward to (the last time I took a day off was during my taper for the LA Marathon in March). This week, I will put in the same effort in training but with lower mileage and no extra workout before track practice. It is always good to make a plan for your taper because when race day comes your legs should feel rested, loose, and eager to run fast. If your body doesn't feel like this, it could mean that you didn't give your body enough recovery or you are just nervous about the race.

Comments

Darth Gaul said…
Magnificent country! Brings back memories of camping at Loon Lake near Tahoe :-) Glad to know all is well with you, Joanna!

Popular Posts