Running With a Kenyan & The Mission Inn Race Volunteer

Weekly Mileage: 49

Gage Canal Trail - Riverside, CA
Since my visit with a physical therapist about 10 days ago, I have been doing stretches for 10 minutes, three times a day. Hamstring and gluteal muscle feel less tight after the stretches and overall I feel like I'm getting back into my normal stride. Yesterday, I went for a 14 mile run and planned on just running at 7 min pace, but when I ran into another Kenyan runner on the trail, we pushed the pace and ran faster and faster as if we were really racing. My watch clicked off at mile 12 and it read 6:08. His cadence was quick and his breathing was forceful, I knew he was working hard to keep the pace, but he kept going faster and I kept up. Mile 13 went by at 5:56. Seeing that I was two stride lengths behind him, I surged a bit to catch up. I thought "If he is really pushing hard, then I can too." He stopped and had to turn around to finish up his run. We shook hands, then took off in opposite directions along the sand trail lined with orange trees on the right and a narrow canal on the left with ducks floating along. Since I only had a mile left and I was feeling great, I challenged myself to keep up the same fast pace for the last mile, this time without anyone to push me. This last mile of a 14 mile run was completely mental strength as I focused inward to find that "switch" within and turn it on. My legs felt smooth as I was gliding down the street, passing orange groves and finishing at the park with a 6:03 mile spit. I'm glad I bumped into another runner because he pushed me past my comfort zone and gave me confidence in my ability to run fast toward the end of my run when my leg felt fatigued. This run was the most effort I've put into a workout since the Chicago Marathon, which is a great sign that my fitness is coming back and I'm feeling good!

Volunteering at Mission Inn Run - Riverside, CA
This morning, I volunteered to pass out finish line medals at the Mission Inn Run in Riverside, CA. The only other time that I've volunteered at a race was about 3 years ago and I worked at the registration booth. It was so much fun to see the runners (some of which I knew), say "Congratulations!" or "Good job!", and hand them a medal! It felt different being on the other side of finish line rather than running. I got to see the faces of exhaustion, relief, accomplishment, and happiness! One couple crossed the finish line together and the man bent down on one knee, opened up a tiny box and inside a beautiful diamond ring shined in the sunlight. Then, he said "Will you marry me?" Both wept with tears and sweat as the woman hugged him with the purest smile and said "Yes."

Comments

Popular Posts