Home for The Holidays! And, lesson learned on increasing mileage

Weekly Mileage: 70

Alum Rock Park, San Jose
Fall Colors

The cool morning breeze
Orchestrates a dance
Among the colorful autumn leaves
And sends them in a wonderful array
To the tops of sycamore trees
Where woodpeckers peck,
To the fringe of shrubs
Where fawns nibble and hide.





Studying
This holiday season, I'm happy to be home in San Jose with my family. I look forward to making tamales, baking persimmon bread, seeing the downtown light display, Christmas shopping, watching Christmas movies, relaxing under the stars in the hot tub, and spending time with family and friends! I have 18 days for winter break and I hope to make the most out of each day! Studying for finals was tough, as always, and I am so glad that I put in the hard work and did well in my classes and will be able to unwind and relax.

One day, when I was studying at Starbucks, I ordered a hot venti soy green tea latte, but the barista made it with ice by accident so she made it again as I ordered and gave me the iced green tea latte for free! And, two days before this, a friendly man paid for my drink at 7 eleven. The holidays is truly a time of joy and giving. I plan on volunteering this upcoming week.


Last Thursday, my flight was delayed and it wasn't until midnight that I arrived at home exhausted and the electricity was out. At the crack of dawn, I pulled myself out of bed and went out for a run around the park to see what things have changed since Thanksgiving time. Even when my body doesn't feel quite rested, I still go running and somehow I feel more energized afterwards. Last year around this time I got injured by increasing the weekly mileage too fast from 60, 80, 90, to 100. It is always smart to avoid making the same mistake, so this time I will only increase to 80 then 90 miles. This year my winter break is a week shorter than last year's, so I won't be able to reach 100 miles before the winter quarter, which won't necessarily be a short coming. At 90 miles, my legs usually feel much more conditioned and breathing feels more smooth as I run. At 100 miles, the only difference I feel is more accomplished.

On New Year's Day, I will be running the Los Gatos Revolution Run, which is 5 miles along a trail that I normally do my long runs on. It will be a fun short run and a great way to start the new year! Registration is only $40 here: https://raceroster.com/events/2018/14522/2018-los-gatos-resolution-run

Los Gatos Revolution Run - course preview


Comments

Popular Posts