Honey Stinger & Nuun Athlete, Running In The Rain, 20 Mile Run

Weekly mileage: 80 (last week was 70)

I have been having a great start to the new year!

The shipments arrived from Honey Stinger and Nuun! Each day I've been consuming a Honey Stinger waffle snack post-run with breakfast, a Nuun electrolyte drink mid-day to keep hydrated, and a Honey Stinger protein bar in the evening. I am so thankful and I feel so blessed to be supported by these brands; good nutrition and hydration will help improve my performance in training and racing.




This morning, I went for a 20 mile run on a fun route through neighborhoods, passing by orange groves and nice big houses like the Burrage Mansion. Miles 3 through 4.5 had an ascent of 400 ft, which was tough, but I believe that the challenge strengthens me physically and mentally. 
Here are my stats from this run:

Nutrition-wise, to prepare for this long run, last night I ate a big Thai-style dinner at a school event, 20 min before the run I ate half of a Honey Stinger waffle, and during the run I consumed less than 1 Honey Stinger energy gel. I consumed the gel beginning at mile 10 and until the end of the run as needed, but it was so sweet that I couldn't finish it all. 



Typical breakfast: Protein shake (protein powder, spinach, orange), Steel-cut oatmeal (chia seeds, blueberries, cinnamon), Honey Stinger waffle

This past Tuesday, I did a track workout in the rain and wind and it was definitely tougher mentally! Lap after lap, I splashed through puddles and fought a violent wind. I was determined to complete the workout. Afterwards, I was drenched, shivering, and just wanted to get out of there. But, the gates were all of a sudden locked and I couldn't get to the parking lot, so I had to walk around the high school (still pouring rain) and found a friendly lady who showed me a way out to the parking lot. After all that, a hot shower never felt so nice! 

Snow in Loma Linda, CA?
I spotted coyotes on the trail these past two weeks. One morning, there were huge blocks of ice in the river that almost looked like snow!

The bidding cities to host the 2020 U.S. Olympic Marathon Trials are: Austin, Chattanooga, Orlando, and Atlanta. USATF estimates a $20 million dollar economic impact. After March 19th, the USATF site selection committee will meet and determine the host city. I have never been to any of those cities, I just hope that the race will be at a city with optimal racing conditions. 

Comments

Popular Posts