New Running Shoes, 24 Miler, & Fueled By Freshii

Mileage this week: 80 (last week 65 miles)

Last week, I ran less mileage to fit a recovery week between 4 weeks of hard training and also to save energy and mental focus for studying for pharmacy midterm exams. Exams went well, as I hoped! I do get stressed during exams week by the enormous amount of information we are required to learn and commit to memory, but all the studying pays off.
Hoka Mach (left) and Hoka Clifton 4 (right)
New running shoes arrived this week: Hoka Clifton 4 (for training) and Hoka Mach (for racing). The Hoka Mach just came out as part of the new "Hoka Fly series" this month which features a "Profly midsole that provides propulsion and protection." They are lightweight at 6.7 ounces, cushioned, breathable mesh upper, and a 5 mm drop. A drop of 5 mm means that the heel is 5 mm higher than the forefoot, which allows your feet to be more parallel to the ground and mimics a more natural stride, so it helps you run more efficiently. After a 10 mile run in the Hoka Mach's, I was disappointed because even though they are lighter than the Clifton's, they had less support, a wider toe box (I have narrow feet), and my feet didn't feel any "propulsion." I will stick with the Nike Flyknit Lunar shoes that I've been wearing during races because the Nikes are lightweight, fit like a glove, and it feels like they propel my feet off the ground. Now on my 6th pair of Hoka Cliftons, and I like them because they have a 5 mm drop, a cushioned support giving you a smooth ride, and they usually last 900 - 1000 miles, or about 3 months.

Video after a 24 mile run!

Today I ran non-stop for 24 miles in 2 hr 39 min, a 6:38 per mile pace. Goal was to run at a moderate pace for 24 miles for about as long as it takes to run a marathon to tire out my body as it would feel in a marathon. Time actually seemed to go by pretty quick. I carried a 4 oz water bottle and energy gel, but didn't end up needing either. Last few miles going slightly downhill were the most fun; I picked up the pace and it felt nice! According to Strava, I burned 2,194 calories. To fuel the run, yesterday for dinner I ate 3 Market wraps and a strawberry banana smoothie at Freshii, and drank lots of water! When it comes to eating healthy, you find yourself eating bigger portions because vegetables are low calorie. It's important to eat an early dinner before a long run so that your body has time to digest it (no gastrointestinal problems during the run).

As I ran, I watched ducks swim along in the canal and saw people riding horses. I took in the cold crisp morning air, beautiful sunrise, and sweet citrus aroma. I pictured myself running in the race and reflected on how my training has prepared me. I saw several running friends at different points along the way and we said "Good morning" to each other. One friend is Al, who I have known for about 2 years from the Riverside Road Runners; he has always shown thought and concern about my training, and gives "kudos" to my runs on Strava. He ran the Boston Marathon last year and has qualified to run it again this year, so happy for all his hard training and preparation! It is exciting to see the Strava runs of other friends over months of training leading up to their race; I feel like I am a part of it. Now only 1 week of hard training and long run before tapering, or cutting down on mileage and intensity. My right leg has been bothering me a bit for the past few days; I will need to take it very easy for the next couple of days to be able to do a hard track workout on Tuesday.


What makes Freshii unique? I've been eating 24/7 from Freshii for the past few weeks and I've been enjoying all the healthy foods, especially since I feel it is helping to improve my energy level and recovery. I feel more energized for my morning run and throughout the day. I love all the choices for customizing my own wrap, bowl, salad, or soup! My favorite food to order is a tossed salad with quinoa, chicken, strawberry, avocado, beets, bell pepper, onion, walnuts, drizzled with lemon juice and paired with a fresh squeezed Green Energy juice, yum!


Freshii also offers:

- Juice Cleanse: 1, 3, and 5 day fresh squeezed juices: Green Energy, Reviive, Mighty Detox, and Red Power

- Meal Boxes: 3 meals and 2 snacks, each box type is made by an expert nutritionist: gluten-free box, bulk box, clean box, and slim box, or customize your own! Available as 1 day, 5-day, or 30-day meal plan

New social media accounts, follow to hear about my training in real time as race day gets closer!
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/joannagreyes/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/joannagreyes
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/joanna.g.reyes1


Comments

Popular Posts