3 Days Till The Los Angeles Marathon!

Weekly Mileage: Low, final taper week (last week was 40 miles)



Last Sunday, I held a second LA Marathon Clinic. This time my audience was the Lopers, a large running group in Loma Linda that has been around since 1977. I enjoy opportunities when I can share my own running journey and also tips about nutrition, tapering and getting ready for race day. It makes me happy knowing that I am helping others achieve their running goals and it gives me confidence for race day!



For workouts this week, I've been doing shakeout runs of 800, 600, 400, 200, and 100 m with short warm up and cool down for a total of 3 miles. This workout gets the fast twitch fibers going without causing fatigue and keeps the legs fresh for race day.









Massage at New Mind New Body Fitness in Fontana, wearing new Freshii-designed clothes. Then, a delicious Superfood Soup and Mighty Detox juice at Freshii. This new healthy diet has made a big impact by boosting my energy level and giving my body the nutrients it needs for proper recovery and fuel for my runs. Freshii Headquarters sent me a customized jacket, capris, tank top, sports bra, and duffle bag, branded by Lululemon. The material is so sleek, rain resistant, and has a skin-like feel. I thank Freshii for their support in my endeavor of training for the LA Marathon.

Eric Liddell, 1924 Paris Olympic Gold Medalist in the 400 m
Most of all, I thank God for His many blessings in my life through both running and school. He is always there to answer my prayers and direct my path. When I am ill, he opens up the door to a new healthy food sponsor, when I am sore, he introduces me to an excellent massage therapist, and when I feel unmotivated, he sends a friend along my running path to say "Good luck Joanna!" 
"But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you" (Matthew 6:6).

2017 Los Angeles Marathon - Elite Women Start

"Sketchers Performance Los Angeles Marathon." Santa Monica Daily Press. Mar 2018.

"More than 30 professional runners from six countries will join over 24,000 athletes to run the iconic “Stadium to the Sea” course. An accomplished group of women from the United States will challenge the international competitors, including 2017 Colfax Marathon winner Brittany Charboneay, 2017 Skechers Performance Los Angeles Marathon 4th place runner-up Joanna Reyes, and Kobe Marathon 3rd place runner-up Simegn Yeshanbel."
Also returning to the race this year are the top 2 female finishers from last year: Hellen Jepkurgat and Jane Kibii, both are Kenyans. I remember last year at mile 13 when Jepkurgat turned to her teammate, moved her lips, and with a slick hand motion, waved her to come join in the front. They picked up the pace and I doubted my ability to keep up with them since I was already running at a much faster pace than my marathon PR (2 hr 50 min), and there was still 13 miles to go. I played it conservatively, as this was my first professional marathon running alongside Olympic and world-class athletes. But, this time I will be going into the race with a 2 hr 37 min marathon PR and as a sponsored elite athlete. I should cast away any doubts about being able to keep up with the top elites because I am at their level now. 


This time, the elite race staff accommodated my stay at the hotel for Friday and Saturday with meals and massages included. Last year, I stayed at an Airbnb when all the other elite athletes stayed at the hotel, and the sad part was that I didn't realize I was even left out until someone mentioned it at the elite pre-race dinner. 
Drawing of me running. From my nephew, Malachi!

Race Goal: To run with all my heart and strength, and finish under 2 hr 37 min (sub-6 min per mile pace)

Race day coverage: 

KTLA5 local TV station 
 - Pre-Show airing at 6:00 am PDT
WGN America TV station
  - Airing from 7:00 am to 10:00 am PDT
http://ktla.com/on-air/live-streaming/
 - Pre-Show airing at 6:00 am PDT

Female Elite Start is at 6:45 am on March 18th. I suggest tuning in at around 6:30 am because there will be footage of the elites at the start line. You might see me doing a few strides and light stretching, and trying my best not to shiver in the 50 degree weather, haha!
                                                                                       

Fun Question (post a comment with your answer)

How many bananas will be supplied on race day in LA?




My parents will be flying down from San Jose to watch the race and I can't wait to see them (the last time I saw them was for Christmas)! The only other marathon where both my parents came was my very marathon - 2014 Santa Rosa Marathon. Since I compete in races far from home, usually only one of my parents can come. 




Comments

Popular Posts