Los Angeles Marathon - recap


Running 26.2 miles along the streets of LA was exciting as I took in all the sights and sounds of people cheering and holding signs to motivate runners every step of the way. I woke up at 4 am that morning, ate half of a banana and gulped down some water. At 4:30 am, I met up with all the elites for the bus to take us to the Dodger Stadium. I said goodbye to my parents "I'll see you at the finish". At the stadium, I did a quick 10 minute shakeout jog since it was so cold out and I needed to stay warm (temperature was in the 40s), then stayed in the elite hospitality room until 20 minutes of the race start. I was excited and anxious as I waited quietly and focused within trying to fill myself with positive vibes. At the starting line, I had the chills and I took in all the excitement of the music and the cheers from the thousands of spectators.

Pre-race Elite Dinner at the California Pizza Kitchen, 
with my parents


Ed Ettinghausen "The Jester" at mile 0.2. He cheered for everyone at the start!
At the sound of the gun, I took off with the other elite women at a comfortable pace. My goal was to hold onto the leaders for as long as I could and to also run an Olympic Trials time faster than 2 hr 45 min. I stayed up with the lead pack as we ran up and down the rolling hills and refueled as we passed the hydration stops. By about mile 16, I felt the pace begin to pick up and I struggled to keep up. I thought it would be best at that point to let go of the lead pack and run my own race. The last few miles of the race hurt - quads tightened up, feet hurt from pounding the pavement, and my entire body felt drained. But, I enjoyed myself out there. I was doing what I love - running. That passion and joy carried me to the finish, where for the first time since my first marathon in 2014, both my parents were there and they wrapped their arms around me with excitement. We celebrated an Olympic Marathon Trials qualifying time and a new PR of 2 hr 37 min! 


http://www.usatf.org/Events---Calendar/2020/U-S--Olympic-Team-Trials
---Marathon/QualifyingStandards/Eligible-List/Women-Marathon.aspx


I am actually going to the Olympic Marathon Trials! All those years of hard work and dedication to strict training have paid off and now my name is on the list of the fastest marathon runners in the country! As I prepare for the Trials, which is in March 2020, I will be keeping my workouts to myself and not announce races in advance because there is a competitive field out there.

The Redlands Daily Facts interviewed me last week: 
https://www.redlandsdailyfacts.com/2018/03/22/loma-linda-pharmacy-student-on-way-to-olympic-trials-after-l-a-marathon-finish/

Superfood Soup with steak in the tortilla soup broth,
and Reviive juice
To my family, friends, and Freshii, thank you for all your encouragement leading up to this big day, you have all been a huge blessing! From the fresh, energizing meals and juices that have been fueling my runs and busy days, to the active wear and race day uniform, Freshii has given me the nutrition and clothing for training my body for peak performance!

This week I'm enjoying spring break with my family in San Jose. On Saturday, I went on a hike with my parents and later that day we went to a nice little Mexican restaurant where I had Caldo de Pollo and flan, it was delicioso! And, I've been really enjoying running along the trails in the cool, crisp morning, passing by the quiescent deer, hearing the rush of the creek and birds chirping all along the way, and saying "good morning" to friendly faces. 

Comments

Popular Posts