Spring Break in San Jose



(left to right) brother, me, mom, cousin
I had a wonderful week of spring break in San Jose! My favorite part was hiking, talking, and laughing with my parents and going to my nephew's 3rd birthday party. At the party, I saw cousins, aunts, and uncles and distant relatives who I hadn't seen in years and it felt so great to see everyone.



My cousin and nephews (Birthday Boy on the right)

The first person who I saw standing at the front door with her shimmery blue eyes was my adorable 7 year old cousin (in the photo) standing beside her mom. Her face lit up with excitement and she had the biggest smile as she reached out to hug my waist. With her soft, sweet voice, she said "Congratulations on qualifying for the Olympic Trials" and began describing how amazed she was to watch me run the LA Marathon. I stayed at her house in Chicago when I ran the Chicago Marathon last October and ever since then she wanted to know all about running, to race me, and share her own running stories from school. She said that she also wants to become a fast runner like me. We talked all day and even raced down the street. As we ran, her legs took three steps for every one step of mine and the wind blew her long, braided blonde hair. In that moment, I smiled down at her watching as she gave her all and wishing that the street would go on forever. If only I could bottle up that moment; it brings tears of joy. And, the best news is that we will be able to see each other more often since she is moving.


Family
I really love to see when kids and adults look up to me as this amazing fast runner. Another cousin said to me "I ran 4 miles today and I haven't ran in years, but you inspired me and I've been eating healthier." It made me smile just seeing the changes others have made in their lives from seeing me pursue my dreams in running. Knowing that I won't be returning to San Jose for awhile, I savored every little memory, funny story, and every smile and hug.



Favorite place to run!


It felt great to be back running on the trails in San Jose in the cool crisp morning, passing by the quiescent deer, hearing the rush of the creek and birds chirping all along the way, and saying "good morning" to friendly faces! I have been enjoying this time of easy, shorter runs and I'm recovering well from the race. Also, to help with recovery I've been eating healthy foods, and cooking with my mom (photos below) since there isn't a Freshii in San Jose (yet).



Salmon soup with quinoa and veggies (left). Eggs with veggies and fruit (right).



This past week, I also met up with my best friend Alice who I've known from high school cross country. We watched a musical performance and also chatted over a delicious soup, bread, and tea at a Chinese restaurant. She also gave me a cool shirt that says "Love to Run."

It was sad giving goodbye hugs to everyone and knowing that the next time I see my nephews and cousin, they will again grow taller and lose more of their baby teeth. But, I look forward to finishing up this last quarter of classes at pharmacy school, interning at Kaiser pharmacy once a week (as required for school), and keeping up with training. I am so excited to say that I passed all my classes last quarter with A's and B's! Another great thing is that I don't have class on Fridays this quarter, yay! I thank God for watching over me as I travel, go to school, intern, and run, and for having the most wonderful family and friends! 

Comments

Popular Posts